This summer´s census of summering griffon vultures in the western Alps will take place already this Saturday – this is your last chance to participate!
This count has been happening since 2010, covering mainly the western Alps (France and Italy), through cooperation with national and natural parks, ornithological associations and some other partners. The census takes part in the second half of August, when summering griffons are more stabilized – before one can still observe some erratic spring dispersion, while in September the griffons start going back to their perennial ranges. Last year 1730 griffon vultures were counted
Like in previous years, the area to prospect this year covers the French Alps: from the Rhone in the west to the Italian border in the east and south to the Mediterranean, and to Lake Geneva in the north. Within this vast space, counts are done at the end of day (17:00-20:00) in known roosting places, during the return of birds from their foraging trips. See map for this year´s counts.
This year the survey is being coordinated by Envergures Alpines, a new NGO recently established. If you are available and interested in vultures, please contact the following regional coordinators who are organising the counts in the different areas of the French Alps:
– Mercantour : Daniel Demontoux (PN Mercantour) daniel.demontoux(@)mercantour-parcnational.fr
– Ubaye : François Breton (PN Mercantour) francois.breton(@)mercantour-parcnational.fr
– Gorges du Verdon : Typhaine Lyon (LPO PACA) 04 92 83 69 55 typhaine.lyon(@)lpo.fr
– Haut-Dauphiné (Hautes Alpes + Oisans) : Christian Couloumy (Envergures alpines) envergures.alpines(@)gmail.com
– Baronnies : Christian Tessier vautourbaronnies(@)ozone.net
– Vercors (Isère et Drôme), Trièves, Diois : Marc Prouveur marc.prouveur(@)pnr-vercors.fr
– Haute-Savoie : C. Rochaix (LPO 74) firstname.lastname@example.org
– Savoie : Bénédicte Chomel (LPO-73) email@example.com
– Isère hors zones précédente et suivante : Daniel Thonon (LPO 38) firstname.lastname@example.org